We promised a second half contest for a $25 WIS Gift Card that would be fun and unique. It will certainly be unique to HBD. Whether or not it is fun will be entirely up to you.
The Davis Cup
Hey, guess what? We're going to have a poetry contest.
A poetry contest. Ain't you cultured enough to read or rite poetry, son? Sure you are. The great thing is that even if you don't think of yourself as a poet--everybody can write poetry. It's like walking. Just put one word in front of the other. Before you know it--you've got a poem.
Here are just a few of the forms you are welcome to try:
- Regular ol' rhyming poem in stanzas 'n everything
- Free verse (Free form)
And in case that doesn't give you enough ideas here's a whole list of poetic forms.
These will be baseball poems. Poems about the game we all know and love. Here are a few ideas:
- Ode to a Major Leaguer you love(d).
- Poem about a great or awful play you made in Little League.
- Fantasy baseball.
- Love sonnet to your favorite HBD player.
- Haiku about your least favorite HBD owner.
- Parody of Casey At The Bat or some other famous poem.
Here's what you need to know:
- Your poem must be baseball themed.
- Any form you choose.
- Make it serious. Make it funny. Make it moving. Make it a farce. Just do your best and that will be good enough for this contest.
- Maximum Limits: 300 words, 24 lines.
- Work must be original. No plagiarism.
- All Entries must have a title
- All entries will be published on The Crash Pad.
- Entries must be submitted to sermonauthor by sitemail no later than Tuesday, December 4 at 11:59 PM, Pacific time.
- Entries will be voted on by the owners of Crash Davis.
- Winner receives a $25 WIS Gift Card and the undying admiration of the owners and honorary title of Crash Davis Poet Laureate.
The key here is to have fun. Some of you have already told yourselves, "I don't write poetry." Hey, everyone has a poem in them. The trick is whether you are willing to take the time to unlock your inner Poe, Frost or Ogden Nash.
Feel free to drop a line with any questions. I hope everyone will give this a shot.